Braised Pork Belly & Potato
Brought to you by Esther Tan - The Food Affectionists (Facebook)
- 500g pork belly with skin, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup shaoxing wine
- 30g rock sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 4-5 slices ginger
- 4-5 spring onion, white parts
- 5 cloves garlic, lightly smashed
- 3-4 dried chillies, deseed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 bowls water
- Blanch the pork belly in boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Sear the blanced pork belly in a pot until brown and oil is discharge, transfer the pork belly to a plate.
- Add in rock sugar in the pot, stir from time to time and make sure the sugar does not burn. When the sugar starts to turns into a darker brown color, add in pork belly slices and stir fry until the pork is coated with the caramel.
- Add in cinnamon, star anise, ginger, white part of spring onion, garlic and dried chillies and bay leaves, stir fry for a minute until fragant.
- Add in light soy sauce, dark soy sauce. Stir fry for another minute and pour in water. Bring it to a boil and cover, simmer at low heat for 40 minutes.
- Add in potatoes, cover and cook for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Garnish some spring onion, serve warm with rice. Enjoy!